The Department is established to provide tri-partite function of clinical services, teaching and training research.
The Department functions under 2 units: Out-patient Unit and In-patients Unit.
- Gymnasium section
- Treatment (Electrotherapy) section
- Paediatric section (Aisha Saleh Hassan Room)
- Retainership Clinical Service Care
- Intensive Care Unit
- Obs. & Gynecology
- To assess and render curative / rehabilitative management of patients.
- To organize programmes on preventive / corrective management of physical disabilities especially for children.
- To organize and encourage hospital-based physical fitness programme.
- To assess patients towards referring for other medical / surgical interventions.
- To initiate Inter-departmental clinical programmes.
- To maintain / initiate specialty clinics / programmes such as:
- Polio Clinic
- Back School;
- Facial Palsy Clinic;
- Cerebral Palsy Programme;
- Physical Fitness Centre;
- Obesity Clinic;
- O & G Clinic;
- Stroke Clinic
- Neuro Clinic; etc.
- To participate in rural outreach (Community) programmes especially to rehabilitation centres and special children homes.
- To encourage clinical researches and publications.
- To participate in public health awareness programmes on radio and other media.
- Training programmes for Intern Physiotherapists.
10.Training of clinical level Physiotherapy students especially from Bayero University, Kano.
1. Assistant Director (Physiotherapy) – 1
2. Chief Physiotherapists – 2
3. Senior Physiotherapists – 4
4. Physiotherapists – 4
5. Honorary Physiotherapist – 6 (BUK staff) (2 on study leave)
6. NYSC Physiotherapist – 1
7. Intern Physiotherapists – 19 (10 commenced: 02/07/13, 9 commenced: 01/08/13)
8. Chief Clinical Health Assistants – 1
9. Confidential Secretary II – 1
10. Head Ward Attendant - 1
11. Senior Hospital Attendants - 4
12. Senior Hosp. Attendant/Messenger - 1
Staff Development and Training:
All staff were sponsored to various conferences/workshops within the period.